Medical Care Since 1990
Over 2 Million
52 Award Winning
clinics across the UK
Aftercare for sk:n Treatments
Why is Aftercare Important?
Don’t you love that feeling of having just undergone a professional skin treatment knowing your skin is on its way to achieving that healthy glow? But before you get carried away, it’s important to note that having your treatment – whether it’s a skin peel/resurfacer, microdermabrasion, laser resurfacing, or any other type of exfoliating rejuvenation treatment – is just the first step in your journey to achieving beautiful, healthy-looking skin.
Get the Best Results, and Maintain them
To really get the most out of any rejuvenation treatment, you should follow the aftercare advice provided by your practitioner. With a disruptive skin treatment like a chemical peel, layers of skin will literally peel off during the days and weeks immediately after your procedure. This means the exposed fresh skin underneath will be much more sensitive to sun exposure, harsh perfumes and chemicals. By following the aftercare instructions given to you by your practitioner – keeping the area clean, moisturised and out of the sun – you will minimise your risk of complications like infection, and maximise your results.
Good Health Means Good Skin
“If you want to make a real change in the quality of your skin, you need to make a lifelong commitment to improve overall wellbeing,” explains Dr Achuth Hosur, a medical director at sk:n. “Good health means good skin; so not smoking, staying out of the sun, drinking plenty of water and getting enough sleep will all help to maintain the results of a rejuvenation treatment. Slipping back into bad habits will only serve to undo all of that progress. You should also be open to the possibility that you may need regular booster treatments. It’s not a ‘cure’ or a quick fix, but should be a positive change in the way you care for your skin.”
After treatment, your practitioner may provide you with an aftercare pack, or recommend a number of products to apply to your skin to help keep it comfortable and aid the natural healing process. As we age, the skin’s natural ability to regenerate slows down, so nourishing and hydrating your skin helps to support its recovery.
Key Aftercare Tips
- Prevent further sun damage after treatment by applying good quality sun protection with at least SPF 50, several times a day.
- Allow your skin to go through its natural healing process – do NOT pick, scrub or peel at scabs, crusting or dry skin that may form after treatment. Allow your body to shed the dead skin cells naturally (unless specifically instructed to do otherwise.)
- Always follow any post procedure aftercare instructions given to you by your practitioner. These will be tailored to your skin, so focus on the specific advice given to you only.
- Note that for 48 hours (or more) after treatment your skin may be red, swollen and vulnerable to infection. Keep your skin clean and moisturised – as instructed.
Arrange a Consultation
One of our friendly sk:n advisors will contact you to answer any questions you may have and help you on your sk:n journey.
- Qualified medical experts
- An NHS Partner organisation
- Rated Excellent by our clients on Trustpilot
- Appointments available nationwide, seven days a week