What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common, long-term, chronic, skin condition which usually occurs on the face and can affect all skin types. It is often more common in women, however, when this affects men it can be more severe. It may manifest itself as persistent redness, spots, visible blood vessels and/or thickened skin, resembling a similar appearance to Acne, however the two shouldn’t be confused.
What causes Rosacea?
It is not completely known what causes Rosacea, although some studies have suggested it might be caused by triggered by certain factors that cause the blood vessels in the face to enlarge.
Certain triggers that are known to contribute to making Rosacea worse are alcohol, exercise, high and low temperatures and stress. Rosacea can also be very sun sensitive.
Symptoms of Rosacea
There are four main symptoms of Rosacea:
- Redness: persistent flushing of the face, often around the nose and cheeks.
- Thread veins: visible blood vessels that do not disappear.
- Papules, pustules and spots: round red bumps which may be filled with pus or fluid.
- Thickening of the skin: excess, bumpy tissue, especially around the nose. This only occurs in the most serious, long-standing cases of rosacea and almost never affects female sufferers.
How can I prevent rosacea breakouts?
As rosacea is a chronic condition and there is no known cure, the best way to help prevent regular flare-ups is to try and identify your triggers and avoid these where possible. Keep a food diary and a make a note of which products you use on your skin; avoid sun exposure and try to limit your intake of caffeine and alcohol.
Natural remedies for Rosacea
Some common natural remedies for rosacea include:
- Using only natural, gentle skin products and moisturisers
- Turmeric (taken orally either as a supplement or in food)
- Ginger (taken orally either as a supplement or in food)
- Aloe vera gel (applied topically onto the affected area)
- Manuka honey (applied topically onto the affected area)
Treatments for Rosacea
There are a number of effective treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms of rosacea. These include Laser Treatment, Skin Peels, Medication and Skincare products.