Dr Elangasinghe is a Consultant Dermatologist who specialises in adult and paediatric dermatology at Salford Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester (rated best NHS trust in UK ’17 and ’18).
Following completion of MBBS in 2001 he has worked in various parts of UK (Ayrshire, Mid Wales, Yorkshire, Norfolk and Leicestershire) as part of his medical and specialist training. He completed UK medical physician training by obtaining the Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2007 (MRCP). During these 6 years he gained a vast amount of general medical experience (including intensive care, cardiology) which is a bit more than routine training and he is renowned for this expertise in medical dermatology as most skin conditions/ rashes have connections to internal medical problems.
Having obtained Joint Royal College Training accreditation in 2010 (MRCP Derm UK) he was appointed as a full time NHS consultant in Dermatology in 2011 as soon as his training was finished.
He was appointed a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) in 2014.
Vinod has authored many publications in Dermatology and presented at national and international conferences.
He maintains the most up to date knowledge and experience in treating skin diseases ranging from skin cancer to rashes (inflammatory skin disease). He also has a special interest in science and the biology behind hair disorders. He is a clinician who uses a mixture of most advanced, novel treatments along with older well trusted ones in providing patients with a range of treatment options.
His current research interests are in:
- Vitamin D pathways in cells and how they will effect inflammation in chronic skin disease
- pus and boil forming skin diseases
He is also known for his ability to explain complex medical problems in a very understandable way to the patient and plan treatments together.
A GP letter is not essential to see him but a comprehensive history of the condition, relevant and non-relevant past medical history and all medications current and past are hugely appreciated in order to give the best treatment plans.
Some of the words and phrases used by his patients to describe him are “friendly, understanding, very thorough, neat and meticulous, caring, has time for you, always with a smile”.
- Consultant Dermatologist, Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS FT (2011-2016)
- Skin Cancer MDT Lead, North Derbyshire, Chesterfield (2014-2016)
- Vice chair- Skin Cancer NSSG, South Yorkshire and Humber (2014-2016)
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Sheffield (2012-2016)
- Fellow- Royal College of Physicians, London
- Fellow- Royal Society of Medicine
- Member- British Association of Dermatologists
- Member- British Association of Paediatric Dermatologists
- Member- North of England Dermatology Society
- Member- British Hair and Nail Society
- Dr Elangasinghe is a co-editor to the Clinical and Experimental Dermatology Journal
Clinical Interests & Specialities
- Moles and Suspicious skin lesions
- Skin cancer
- Skin surgery
- Laser skin surgery
- Acne/ spots/ pimples
- Hair problems (thinning, losing hair or other problems) and alopecia
- Allergic skin problems (allergy/ patch testing offered)
- Children’s skin problems (Paediatric Dermatology) eczema being the commonest
- Skin tags
- Cysts, lipomas
- Red face/ Rosacea and thread veins (you may or may not have other symptoms)
- Rashes that you are struggling to get a diagnosis
- Scarring (mild or severe) from acne scars, post traumatic scars, unsightly surgical scars and keloids
- Chronic non-healing leg ulcers
- Birthmarks, blemishes
- Age and liver spots
- Pigmentation problems
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Infections of skin
Arrange a Consultation
One of our friendly sk:n advisors will contact you to answer any questions you may have and help you on your sk:n journey.
- Qualified medical experts
- An NHS Partner organisation
- Rated Excellent by our clients on Trustpilot
- Appointments available nationwide, seven days a week