Spring clean your skincare
Spring has most definitely sprung! So, it’s time to switch out our skincare products by replacing heavier winter products for lighter, summer alternatives.
Dr Shaaira Nasir, one of our Consultant Dermatologists, has shared her advice on switching up your skincare for spring and summer, as well as providing us with guidance to avoid some of the most common and biggest skin faux pas.
According to Dr Shaaira, ‘You wouldn’t wear your winter wardrobe in the middle of summer, so why would you cover your face with winter skincare products? The outcome is the same, it will become sweaty, greasy, unable to breathe and become uncomfortable and irritated. It is important to switch up your skincare products between the colder and hotter seasons and spring is the perfect time to do so.’
Check your skincare expiry dates
This should be everyone’s first step when revisiting products that haven’t been used for some time, especially if you opened it last summer and have broken the seal. Just like food, skincare and makeup have their own shelf life – especially products including SPF – so check the best before dates before using. Some products won’t have one but once they have been opened there are general sell-by dates you should be following.
- SPF: The FDA, The Food and Drug Administration, requires all SPF products to be marked with an expiration date, however, if you find you have an SPF that doesn’t have this you can assume it is up to three years. This date includes once it has been opened, so you can use leftover product from the year before but be sure to give it a good shake first.
- Moisturisers: All moisturisers, face creams and eye creams last approximately 6 to 12 months. Products with a pump are less prone to bacteria, whereas ones in jars or pots should be thrown out after 6 – 9 months as the ingredients will become less effective and can even start to cause irritation.
- Foundations/tinted moisturisers: These tend to have a shelf life of up to 12 months, particularly those that are liquid-based, so if you haven’t used it for a while give it a little shake as the ingredients may begin to separate.
- Lipstick/gloss: Products like these can last up to two years but it all depends on how regularly you use them. If your glossy becomes ‘gloopy’, probably time to treat yourself to a new one.
- Mascara and liquid eyeliner: Eye makeup usually only has a life expectancy of up to 3 months. You will know when it is time to replace them as the liquid will become sticky, clumpy and dry around the top. This product is so close to your eyes so it’s important to replace regularly for hygiene reasons.
Double cleanse every evening
During the summer months, our skin is more exposed to a build-up of sunscreen, sweat, excess oil and makeup, which can cause the skin to appear dull. Introduce double cleansing as you can do this every day. I would recommend double cleansing in the evening to make sure your skin is nice and clean before you go to sleep.
Exfoliation is a key part of your routine to remove dirt but remember to keep it gentle and no more than twice a week to avoid breaking the skin’s barrier. Chemical exfoliation in the form of acids such as AHAs or BHAs in washes or leave-on products can help gently exfoliate dead skin cells. This gives skin a more even skin tone and helps reduce problems like clogged pores and pigmentation. For this why not try our sk:n Vitamin Rich Cleanser For All Skin Types as it is the perfect product to gently remove any dirt, makeup and impurities.
Switching out your everyday moisturisers
With the increasing heat and humidity, a lot of people think daily moisturising isn’t needed during the summer months, however, this isn’t true. Your favourite moisturiser may have worked perfectly during the cooler months, but the trick in spring and summer is to swap rich creams for something a little more lightweight. Instead of an occlusive thick moisturiser containing ingredients like petrolatum, try a humectant like hyaluronic acid or glycerine which pulls water to the skin cells but doesn’t block pores.
This is something you should do all year round, however, the summer months is when you will find your skin becomes far more exposed to sun damage. This is where a high-grade antioxidant skincare product containing vitamin C or polyphenols will work to neutralise the free radicals activated by the sun within the skin. If this process isn’t intervened, then it will develop and damage the skins cells causing wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
Retinol is a derivative of vitamin A and is another powerful antioxidant with multiple benefits. It stimulates collagen production and accelerates skin cell renewal which prevents premature skin ageing. This should be applied at night either in the form of a serum or cream.
A favourite retinol product of ours is the SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.3% which is enriched with pure retinol and designed to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, uneven skin tone and dark spots. This is also a great product to start off with if you are looking for your first retinol product to introduce to your skincare routine.
SPF, SPF, SPF
You should be applying sun protection all year round. The reason for this is that even though the UVB rays fluctuate between winter and summer, UVA rays do not, and these are what cause the skin to age prematurely. It is recommended to wear an SPF between 30 and 50 to help slow the ageing process and also keep your skin in optimal condition long term. It also comes as no surprise that the face is the most common place for people to develop skin cancer and problems with pigmentation. It is therefore vital that you keep it protected to avoid too much sun exposure.
Try using the sk:n Sunscreen SPF 30, this light formula fully protects your skin without any of that greasy feel. This product will also help to hydrate your skin as a result of the ingredient Violet Rice Extract which is rich in amino acids and vitamin B.
sk:n Sunscreen SPF30
SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.3%
sk:n Vitamin Rich Cleanser for All Skin Types
Heliocare® 360 Invisible Spray SPF 50+
Arrange a Consultation
One of our friendly sk:n advisors will contact you to answer any questions you may have and help you on your sk:n journey.
- Qualified medical experts
- An NHS Partner organisation
- Rated Excellent by our clients on Trustpilot
- Due to Covid-19 we have additional health and safety measures put in place to protect our teams there may be a delay in getting back to you