How to prevent wrinkles on the face
Medically reviewed by Dr Tariq Sumrein.
Dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles are the visible signs of the aging process and are, mostly, unavoidable. Yet, as our face is most prone to developing them first, the answer to how to prevent wrinkles from forming becomes increasingly sought out for.
What causes wrinkles?
Wrinkles appear first on the places where the muscles are repetitively moving and contracting, such as the eyes, forehead and mouth. Facial expressions are spontaneous and facilitate communication, although as the years go on, skin flexibility gradually declines.
The groves made from frequent squinting, smiling and frowning cannot easily smooth back into place. These groves, fine lines and folds are known as wrinkles. Genetics, sun exposure and smoking are the main accelerators of them.
Intrinsic ageing is the genetically determined process that impacts the skin’s structure, its ability to repair damage, its strength and resilience, which can differ from individual to individual.
Therefore, if you have developed wrinkles noticeably faster for someone of your age, premature wrinkles may be a hereditary trait and the cause of your wrinkles.
Extrinsic ageing is caused by external factors, such as sun exposure, pollutants and smoking. All these elements are detrimental to the skin and can accelerate the decline of collagen and elastin.
Collagen and elastin are essential skin-firming proteins that promote a healthy, springy structure. The diminishing of both these proteins can cause the skin to sag, become lined, loose and wrinkled.
How to prevent wrinkles
The first step to prevent wrinkles is to protect your skin and encourage the production of collagen and elastin. You can do this by:
- Wearing SPF daily. SPF is fundamental in protecting your skin against harmful UV rays and can prevent the early onset of fine lines.
- Quitting smoking. The toxins found in tobacco not only cause serious illnesses, but also damage collagen and elastin production. Cigarettes also cause ‘smoker’s lines’ and restrict oxygen and blood flow, which saps nutrients from the skin and causes a greyer and duller complexion.
- Collagen and elastin stimulating treatments. There are many non-invasive treatments that can help boost collagen and elastin and can also give your skin a new glowing, youthful appearance. These include HydraFacial, chemical peels, dermaroller, laser peels and microneedling.
- Having a strong skin care regime. Incorporating active ingredients such as retinol, hyaluronic acid, vitamins C, peptides and alpha hydroxy acids (like glycolic and lactic acid) can all help prevent and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
How to prevent fine lines around eyes
This is often the first area to show the signs of ageing as the skin around the eyes is thinner, more delicate and prone to folds and creases than any other part of the body.
Whilst also following the advice above, below are some other ways to specifically prevent fine eye lines:
- Include antioxidants in your diet and skin care. Antioxidants help to combat levels of free radicals which can damage the skin cells and cause the loss of skin elasticity. Foods like green vegetables, berries, sweet potatoes and dark chocolate are rich in antioxidants.
- Use a protective eye cream. Retinol and SPF are essential in protecting the eye area and keeping it smooth.
- Eye masks. Eye gels and masks have become a popular in skincare rituals, where they claim to help firm and soothe the eye area. Using eye masks may help to refresh your eyes, making them feel firmer and less lined than usual.
- Rejuvenating skin treatments. As fine lines are mildly visible, professional skin treatments can work to significantly eradicate any fine lines.
How to prevent forehead wrinkles
There are two types of wrinkles, dynamic and static.
For example, you may have noticed that when you raise your eyebrows, forehead lines appear. These are a type of dynamic wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles occur when the eyebrow muscles are contracted and usually disappear once the muscles relax.
On the other hand, static lines remain on the face even when the muscles are still. Often, dynamic lines become static lines as the depletion of elasticity means the skin cannot spring back. Knowing how to prevent forehead lines from becoming permanent is therefore important.
By always using SPF, not smoking and having a diligent skincare routine, glabellar lines can be reduced. Glabellar lines is the name of the horizontal lines that stretch across the forehead and can be prevented by:
- Skin-firming products. Hyaluronic acid is essential in promoting a tighter, radiant look which boosts your hydration levels and makes fine lines look less noticeable
- Regenerative treatments. Professional, restorative treatments that encourage new skin cell growth significantly reduce forehead lines. Laser skin treatments such as CO2RE and Spectra laser peel, have no downtime and can target all the signs of ageing from deep set wrinkles to sagging, sun exposed skin. Both treatments stimulate the production of collagen which can help future prevention of wrinkles.
How to prevent under eye wrinkles
Some preventative actions can be:
- Keeping hydrated. Whilst improving your water intake may not remove undereye wrinkles, it can improve your brightness which may reduce the appearance of eye bags
- Cooling eye masks. If you suffer with tired looking eyes, cooling eye masks can help to soothe blood vessels, minimising the appearance of dark, dilated veins beneath the eyes
- Using caffeine, retinol and peptide based eye creams. These ingredients help to give the eyes essential moisture, nourishment and boost skin health to promote smoothness and tightness
- Tear trough fillers – although there are a range of non-invasive treatments to treat eye wrinkles, tear trough fillers are specifically developed to revitalise the eyes and activate collagen production.
How to stop wrinkles
Stopping wrinkles altogether requires professional treatment, and sk:n offers a range of skin and filler treatments to remove and reduce facial wrinkles long termly.
- Anti-ageing injectables are our most popular treatment to relax overactive muscles and obstruct the production of creases and lines in the skin.
- Dermal fillers are perfect for establishing a smoother, fuller complexion and are effective in treating deeply set wrinkles, mouth lines and forehead lines.
- Thread lifts are an innovative treatment that uses surgical threads to lift sagging, tired skin. This treatment is suitable for anyone looking to raise the skin whilst stimulating collagen production
- Rejuvenating skin treatments – a less invasive approach to target fine lines and wrinkles. Find out more information here.
- Wrinkles occur because of a gradual decline in collagen and elastin
- Facial wrinkles can be prevented by always using SPF
- A strong skin care regime helps keep the skin hydrated and smooth – whilst promoting firmness
- A healthy and well-hydrated diet may help improve skin health and help prevent the onset of wrinkles
- Professional facials and regenerative treatments work immediately to reduce fine lines
- Injectable treatments are the most effective way of completely removing any deeply set undereye wrinkles, fine lines, glabellar and smile lines
Arrange your consultation
One of our friendly sk:n advisors will call you to book your consultation.
- Qualified and regulated medical experts
- An NHS Partner organisation
- Rated excellent by our clients on Trustpilot
- Strict safety and care protocols