What exactly are Chemical Peels? sk:n clinics explains
23rd February 2015
There's been plenty of horror stories in the media about skin peels and let's face it, the name alone is enough to conjure all sorts of images.. But what's the real story? At sk:n, The Nation's Skin Clinic, we've been carrying out peels for over two decades. As as the largest chain of highly regulated clinics in the country, carrying out well over 100,000 in that time, we are considered experts in the field.
There are a wide variety of skin peels on the market, designed to tackle a range of common skin concerns, including dull skin, acne, wrinkles, pigmentation, and age spots. The treatment involves applying a non-toxic chemical solution to the skin to encourage skin turnover, allowing fresher, clearer, brighter skin to replace it.
Is it safe?
Here, we can only talk about the peels we offer at sk:n. We can confirm that our skin peels are completely safe and undergo stringent testing on all skin types and tones: First by the manufacturers; then by our Medical Standards Team; and finally during the training of our practitioners. No chain is more regulated, or more highly accreditated.
During treatment your eyes and hair will be protected. You may experience a slight tingling sensation as the peel works, but this is completely normal.
How does it work?
As we age, our skin's natural rate of exfoliation slows down, leaving us more prone to unwanted imperfections and sun-ageing. Skin peels work by applying a non-toxic chemical to the skin to remove dead cells and encourage the natural exfoliation process. The treatment stimulates new cell growth and collagen production, helping to reveal fresher, clearer, brighter skin.
What's in it?
At sk:n, we use an advanced range called Inner Peel, which contains a patented carrier-solution that drives greater absorption of the active ingredients into the skin. This deep-acting technology reduces trauma to the skin's surface and increases the rate of exfoliation for improved results. Classified as light, medium or deep, each peel produces a varying level of chemical exfoliation to treat different conditions.
Is it right for me?
Treatment is safe on all skin types and tones, so suitable for anyone wanting fresher, clearer, brighter skin. Your nurse or therapist will discuss the best innerpeel for you in your free consultation.
Where on my body can I have treatment?
Our range of Skin Peels can be used for the face and almost any other area of the body. We offer specific peels for the hands, neck and décolletage.
What results will I see?
You will notice improvement in your overall complexion from your first peel. Your nurse or therapist will discuss the best peels for your skin complaint and the results you can expect to see in your free consultation.
A summary of the benefits
- Improved skin texture and firmness: Skin Peels stimulate new cell growth and collagen production, revealing fresh skin that is softer to the touch and more even.
- The confidence to dare to go bare-faced: Forget wearing thick, clogging make-up. With clearer, brighter skin you can ditch the foundation and let your skin breathe.
- Less visible fine lines and wrinkles: Whether on your face, hands, neck or décolletage, keep people guessing about your age by smoothing out tell-tale lines.
- Skin looks clearer and feels more purified: Exfoliation prevents pores becoming clogged, resulting in fewer spots.
- Dull skin gets a boost of brightness and clarity: Outer layers of jaded skin are removed, allowing fresh, glowy, youthful skin to be revealed.
- More even skin tone: Age spots, pigmentation and sun damage are lessened.
- Less ingrown hairs: Encouraging the skin to exfoliate prevents unsightly ingrown hairs and the marks they can leave on your complexion.
At sk:n, we offer a free consultation where you can talk through your skin aspirations with a medically trained pracitioner. Click here to find out more.