Fake It, Don't Bake It? Tips on Fake Tanning
12 Jul 2013
So you want to know how you can get a natural-looking faux summer glow? We don't blame you, especially now that exposed limbs can be seen left, right and centre. Golden skin looks beautiful, however, no one ever enjoys becoming a victim of the dark side of sun exposure.
Exposure to the sun's harmful UV rays can lead to sun damaged skin, sunburn, age spots on the face, premature wrinkling and in some cases, even skin cancer. It isn't all bad news - you can achieve similar results using a much safer method known as fake tanning. Here's sk:n's tips to help you self-tan like a pro:
Preparation before Fake Tanning
- Shave 24 hours before tanning. If waxing, do so 48 hours before
- Use an alcohol-based wet wipes to remove any traces of old self tan
- Provide a smooth base for your fake tan using a gentle exfoliating scrub
- Avoid using oil-based skin products prior to the fake tan
- Sparingly apply moisturiser only to your feet, elbows, heels, cuticles and hands
- If you're fair skinned, you can apply some moisturiser/petroleum jelly onto your eyebrows and hairline using cotton buds
- Prevent your finger/toe nails from turning brown by wiping them with a cleansing wipe
Applying the Fake Tan
- Be sure to wear tanning mitts or latex gloves to avoid orange, stained hands
- Feel free to thin out your tanning product by mixing it with a bit of moisturiser to prevent tan patches especially around hard and dry areas
Fake Tanning Aftercare
- Stick to wearing dark loose clothing once you're done, or perhaps go straight to bed
- Wash off the colour guide the following morning
- Shower/bath in lukewarm to cool water to prevent the tan from breaking up
- Keep your skin moisturised at least twice a day to lock in hydration which can help your new tan to fade more naturally
- Dry yourself with a towel using patting motions, avoid rigorous scrubbing
- Avoid the swimming pool which contains the tan-stripping chlorine and can lead to a patchy tan
If you're currently experiencing sun damaged skin, a rejuvenating skin peel could be just what you need to perfect a smooth sun-kissed complexion all year round by fake tanning. This highly recommended skin treatment works to encourage new skin cell growth by safely removing dead skin.
This procedure will certainly help treat sun damaged skin as well as the appearance of age spots on the face. Book a consultation with one of our specialists at sk:n today!