Elaine Sassoon was educated at Harvard University, USA and attended medical school at University College Hospital in London.
Her surgical training took her to specialist hospitals in London, Cambridge, Oxford and of course East Grinstead. She supplemented her UK training with attachments and fellowships in Slovenia and Taiwan (microsurgery) as well as Atlanta, USA (oculoplastic and aesthetic surgery). During her time in the USA she won the prestigious Gaspar Anastasi Award for aesthetic surgery.
She has excelled at research and been awarded numerous prizes both nationally and internationally. For her research on the dynamic anatomy of the kiss she was chosen for the Royal Society "New Frontiers in Science" Exhibition.
One of her passions is microsurgery, with a particular interest in breast reconstruction and she has devoted herself to campaigning for the right of women to a full choice of reconstructions. She chairs the Breast Special Group of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Her book "The Boudica Within" has won international acclaim.
Her love of sculpture has helped her develop a keen three-dimensional aesthetic eye, and she has considerable experience of all aspects of breast surgery, particularly breast asymmetry. She is also very interested in the aesthetics of non surgical facial rejuvenation, particularly the use of natural fillers and fat to restore a youthful face. She provides a full cosmetic service.
Current NHS / university posts:
- Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust
- Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Ipswich Hospital
- Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Cromer Hospital
- Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of East Anglia
- Non-surgical procedures
- Breast surgery
- Cosmetic breast surgery
- Non surgical cosmetic treatment
- Reconstructive surgery
- Skin cancer
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reduction
- Breast lift
- Breast reconstruction including DIEP flap, IGAP flap
- Fillers and anti-ageing
- Non-surgical rejuvenation of the face
- Eyelid surgery
- Surgery following weight loss (body contouring)
- Labial reduction
- Moles and skin cancer
- Upper arm surgery
- Perforator flaps for breast reconstruction
- Lipofilling and stem cells
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons
- Member of British Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Member of Council of British Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Corresponding Member of Aesthetic Society (USA)
- Member of British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons